Saturday, April 7, 2018

More cardstock studies...in oils


                                         6"x 8" Forested Mountain Valley View  AP


Painted a series of Oregon studies from my travels...this past Fall...

                                 5"x 7"  Seven Mile Walk   AP

Calling this "Seven Mile Walk" because our off road vehicle appeared at the time to have quit running, and were this far from where we needed to get back, none too long before it would get dark.  Beautiful view in Oregon


                              4"x 8" A Good Climb Up  AP

Getting my first ATV quad run down how to ride, my son figuring my past years riding motorcycles would be enough that I'd catch on.  He was right...but it was also my first time taking such a vehicle (that was on site and not mine), and trust I could handle it going nearly a mile down the mountains to a creek bottom below.  The final stretch was a severe sharp angle having to keep it in low first gear all the way, careful not to hit the front brakes to flip end over end.  My son went before me...which gave me some confidence, still I was in the moment looking for evidence to hold confidence in "myself!"  I admit...I was nervous...but, I wasn't NOT going to do this.   Lots of good memories out in Ontario and the mountains...







                                                 6"x 8" Lake Wallowa  AP


This is a large freshwater lake near St Joseph's, Ontario where Chief Joseph is buried.



                                  5"x 7" Montana Ride   AP


Thirty hour drive out...and thirty hour drive back.  Long long drive, but plenty of sights to keep an artist engaged!



                                  5"x 7" Looking Across Sunset  AP

The state of Washington lies across the deep cut valley, a river at its bottom.  Always the breathtaking views...


                                             6"x 8" Mountain Side Pines  AP

Some say I am something of a colorist in my paintings, but I feel that painting is really depicting the color of light.  So, it is more my honest go for the jugular feel what I am seeing and experiencing.  From books I have an current sciences, it appears that the eye of women are physically structured to be sensitive and see color better than men.  I admire many women painters...and feel for myself, color requires more a conscientious and intellectual intent.  It may be so as well for my female artist peers, no different than I...but the joy so many wonderful women painters flow I wonder if the science is not right, and I think so many are just fortunate to have that color sense "edge..."  I feel I have to work for what I manage.


                                  5"x 7"  Ponderosa Sunset  AP


Working one's way around the trails in the Oregon mountains was both beautiful and yet mindful of the potential danger.  If caught away from camp, the temperature drop comes quick. We saw cougars at one point.  But so enchanting.  I want to go back and spend a couple weeks just painting with my Strada paint box and gear...


                                                 5"x 7"  Shadow Side  AP  

The sun continually paints interesting changes upon the landscapes, one rising peak casting its shadows upon another, down into valleys.  Just beautiful..


                                                6"x 8" Oregon Sunset  AP


Another beautiful end of a day working our way thru the mountains.  Up on the mountains, the lay of the land leveling itself off does not represent how high one really is.  In fact, there were steer grazing up on top of many of these flats or lesser inclines, until one gets to a drop in edge and reality strikes home!! hahaa...


                                              5"x 7" View of Wallowa Lake  AP


Last one for today...one of the views along the road leading out of St Josephs, Oregon and wraps around this beautiful large fresh water lake...


*notes worth repeating... "AP" means "yet" in my possession or "artist's possession" and may be available as I feel led.  As studies they serve for my interests to work into larger in-studio linens.  I am intending (a project in the works) to put most of these studies in a DIY online coffeetable type book, the last number of pages showing steps in my process and painting.

One other note...is a reminder that if you click on an image, you will bring up a larger view to enjoy.  Thank you..

No comments:

Post a Comment