Friday, April 6, 2018

BIG Little Paintings...!

I enjoy spreading them out every so often...taking pics, sharing on Facebook or Instagram...they have become like little friends, extended family...and remind me of my own journey thru this world and travels.


The six pieces above are all around 5"x 7" to 6"x 8" in size.  The one in the upper right at this time is spoken for...and will be heading to Alaska shortly.


This above was just sent out this morning heading to Alaska, and a partner to bless another...5"x 9" oil.  I love backlit subjects.  Perhaps now have two retinal tears (left and right eye) and laser surgery I should rethink my plein air habits (though this was a studio study).  I like the opposing contrasts of light, dark...warm and cool colors.  Painting is for me..."the color of light"...and putting marks down alla prima efficiently...cleanly is most satisfying.



Another (above) that went out this morning, 6"x 8" study of sunset light thru Spring flooded timbers along the Peshtigo River not far from home.  I did an original plein air study, then this studio experiment, and then a 16"x 20" larger linen that was accepted and exhibited this past year in the American Impressionist Society Exhibition out in Utah.  What a wonderful honor that was.  This piece is actually available should any wish to inquire...



                              16"x 20" oil on linen "Flooded Timbers Sunset"  AP
 
So, running out of storage causing me to turn to small studies, is something of a habit I have not been accustomed to.  But, as in the case of a couple national exhibitions now has proven to me the great benefit of working out ideas smaller.


This next one is in my possession.  I think I will tag them as "AP"  (artist's possession)...meaning not sold, perhaps not as yet having any intent to sell or let go.  It just means, I have it...   


                                    4-1/2"x 6-1/4"   "Morning Light"   "spoken for and reserved"

I typically use trim tape, like you would use to tape off floor and window trim before painting walls, paint, and then peel off.  Leaving the margin gives me flexibility if I should then adhere to a laminate panel, or other arrangements.  At which time I could then trim on a bandsaw.

My paintings are final varnished with Krylon Kamar Spray...



Many may not know, but I paint portraits, started by painting wildlife for the first seventeen years of my career winning various state and regional awards, stamp designs, etc; and then I did "Sporting Portraits" for a good while.  I am fascinated by treating the face like a landscape...a fore, mid and background with similar rules of depth perspective, warm and cooling color and values.  My small studies are close in keeping to "mud heads" where labored rendering and likenesses are not near important as paying attention to the color of light, the shapes and values of those lights and artfully playfully with the brush applying paint.  

Here is one example of a quick Kevin Costner I did from Dances With Wolves...6"x 4-1/2"  AP



Taking more time than I had hoped, but not surprised.  I'll end this post here...and continue another time.  Hope you enjoy.

Oh...and I should say, if you haven't blogged for awhile, by clicking on any image, you will bring up a larger image to view.

No comments:

Post a Comment