Friday, April 6, 2018

Cardstock Studies...80# Thunderbolt...oils



So, I have been on an adventure somewhat removed from many other things because of this obsession of painting small cardstock studies.  Prepped on this paper to receive oils, drying within 1-2 weeks, I can store as many as seventy paintings in a smaller four inch deep plastic bin with lid, separating each with wax coated papers.  In time, I bought a couple black portfolios, black pages with clear protective sleeves and have been able to carry all these original oils underarm to share.  Pretty crazy really...











The advantages painting these small studies has proved ENORMOUS for my prolific habits, now retired from teaching art and use of a larger classroom, my years and years of books, materials home.  A nice house, three bedroom, but no basement, smaller closets.  One bedroom is where I do my studio painting when not outdoors painting plein air, and where I practice my music and song writing/producing.  My closet is full of guitars and sound reinforcement equipment, a corner of the room taken by a computer used for recording tracks of my music.  I have an attached room between garage and the house full of framed works, and no room really to grow.

I have plans and intent to build a 16'x 20' outbuilding on my property, with a loft for storage where I can paint, carve, greet the curious that stop by.  But, what to do about that habit of painting?  By painting on cardstock and small, I can work out ideas, experiment, use what I think are successful studies to then lead to larger in-studio stretched or linen panels.  But, the sheer volume of paintings I can do without deficit of lack of space doing these has been energizing!

In the meantime...I have come to know from time to time friends on social media that share dire situations, urgent care needs, medical life saving procedures...and quite frankly could use some help.  They may have go fund me pages up, they may have links, and likely a Facebook page that people can join...understand the challenges being faced, and enjoin and partner to face those challenges together. 


Thus comes the purpose of me sharing these small studies here.  I do not know truly how many of these small studies I will let go.  My original intent was to approach gallery owners to see the lot of them, and hope they might see a half dozen they would want me to paint much larger and give me space in their gallery.  The one thing I am intending, is to take high resolution images of the work, and eventually put together a DIY coffeetable typ book of the works, with descriptions, perhaps one or two step by step instructionals and thoughts near the end of the book.  But...


And that is a BIG BUT...!!!  My proposal (know I am a person of faith) is that as God leads...prompts my heart, and if I feel it pleases Him...I will let a few of these go (when and how many I don't know?)...and those that will share in this partnership of care and blessing will have opportunity to own one of my studies (free...I will give it to you)...in turn for your conscience and heart to determine what to give in donation to support the needs of special people facing tough challenges. 


You may have to be patient with me...going by the peace I feel...the inner wrestlings, I may let a half dozen go and stop.  Or a few...stop, and then a month or so down the road I might feel persuaded and inclined to let a few more go for someone else.  It is a venture, and one I can't predict.


My intent is no seeking of "gee, what a nice guy" attention kinda thing.  I know most artists that paint NEED to sell their work, pay bills, and to eat.  I know also there are artists that will recognize the difference between what sold serves to answer their own "need"...or when it comes down to it, their "wants."  Believe me...I have wants...as mentioned my outbuilding...but then an ATV quad with plow to clear snow from my driveway, as working an Ariens snowblower to clear a 180' driveway and access is getting tougher on my 63year old knees!  But, retired...life has been good...and I weight what is truly a "need"...and how I wish life would go ideally with what I would like.


Then, I think of those few God puts on my heart...whose wants and needs intertwine just wishing to be physically whole, and without pain.  So, I have laid it out.  Over the next few posts I will share small oil study works...including those having gone to a new home.  You may inquire...email me, comment if interested.  But again...don't feel bad please if at the moment I choose to hold on...or stop giving freely for a time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment