Wednesday, April 18, 2018

5"x 7"  Surf Study- Lake Superior  AP


Inspired by a lot of time on Lake Michigan fishing with my father, both of us serving in the US Navy (on what my dad called "the Big Pond!") and Lake Superior not too far north of our home in NE Wisconsin, just below Upper Michigan.  Love surf...time on the water, being around water.  Painting at a number of events.  I have done my share of plein air work up in Marquette, Michigan off Wetmore Landing, Presque Isle, and so forth...and over in Grand Marais, MN (about three hours north of Duluth).  This study is much like my normal painting efforts to simplify the complexity of water, reflections, transparency, rocks, bottom, light penetration.  Fun stuff...


6"x 9"  Cow Elk in Morning Conference  AP


 Some of my wildlife art past emerges every so often...and these are quick and simple studies.  Using the largest brush, a flat possible.  I am a brush wiper...meaning instead of a separate brush for color, values...I will get mileage from one, the largest I can paint...and exhaust what is possible with that one larger brush before moving to the next smaller brush.  It helps me focus on essential suggestive brushwork and constrain temptations to detail.




6" x 8"  Calling the Herd of Cows   AP


Hardly anything more majestic than hearing the series of calls made by a bull elk echoing thru a mountain valley.  To see the vast numbers in a herd cover ground in quick haste, is beautiful...


7"x 5" study of a Muley Buck head  AP
  

6"x 8" Pines of Ontario  AP


4"x 8" Study of Oregon Sundown Shading the Bottoms AP




 7"x 9"  Black Angus on Oregon Mountains  AP



*clicking on images brings up larger view...and "AP" are those works that remain in my or the "artist's possession" 

No comments:

Post a Comment