Monday, August 7, 2017

"Spunky But Alert- Redhead" 5"x 4"



 

This was a reversion to my wildlife art career years, where even something this small as 5"x 4" using acrylics would have had me applying detail on detail for hours upon hours.  Painted a few years ago now and living in a national forest, I have not divorced myself from my love of wildlife and time outdoors, but I explored painting wise other challenges, one about 25 years ago now taking my paints outdoors painting from life, or what is called today "plein air."

With the nature of painting from life, the fickle nature of available light hanging around and cooperating or quickly disappearing comes that knack for putting a thing down, deft handling of brush...and I found myself curious visiting my old love to see if this same handling, but in oils, could develop a satisfying subject.  I have done a number of such works now relatively much less time, focusing on rendering with value and color and brushwork suggestion.  I was quite delighted, though it would not give those old state department natural resource expects satisfaction in counting feathers!  That said, in passing observation of fowl from life, you won't find yourself counting feathers!

No comments:

Post a Comment